The Liberia Motorcyclists Transport Union (LMTU) recently launched a one month national anti-Ebola campaign to show its commitment to the Ebola Must Go Campaign in accordance with a recent commitment made by the Union’s leader during the Ministry of Information regular Ebola press briefing.The LMTU Secretary General Mr. Robert Sammie asserted that the campaign is intended to get motorcyclists actively involved in the fight against the deadly Ebola Virus Disease.He said that during the month long campaign, motorcyclists will carrying anti-Ebola messages and educate other motorcyclists about the necessary Ebola preventive measures.The LMTU Secretary General called on all motorcyclists to stop transporting two passengers at a time adding that they should always dress properly in long sleeve shirts in order to protect themselves from contracting the virus.The Union’s anti-Ebola campaign project was launched under the theme: “Breaking a Mode of Rapid Ebola Transmission by Using Commercial Motorcyclists as Agents of Alert in Liberia”.Chief Rider at Gobachou Red-Light Joseph Kollie who spoke for motorcyclists said, they will continue to contribute positively to the fight against the virus stating that “motorcyclists will no longer be used as a mode of transmission of the deadly Ebola virus.”He asserted that motorcyclists are prepared to join the fight and pledged to protect themselves and their families by observing all the preventive measures given by the Ministry of Health and its partners.Meanwhile, during the launch of their campaign, the Union recognized and distributed jackets to all motorcyclists who were seen observing the Ebola preventive measures such as wearing long sleeves and transporting one passenger at a time as a means of encouraging them to continue what they have already started. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Donegal protestors at a previous march. Pic by Northwest Newspix.Right2Water Donegal are organizing a protest at the Donegal County Council Chambers in Lifford on Monday April 13th assembling at 9.30am.The council will be meeting that morning to take care of any unfinished business from the previous Council meeting.The purpose of the protest is to register , once again, our opposition to Water Charges, by having reps. from Right2Water across the county hand back , bin or dispose of Water bills outside the seat of local government. The local Right2Water group will also present a letter to the County Councillors and the County Manager.Owen Curran from Right2Water West Donegal said; ‘ This letter will contain the concerns of people whom we are in regular contact with through our campaign, for example- Why did the County Manager proceed to hand over the details of Council tenants to Irish Water , despite a direction from Councillors not to do so?’It has also been widely noted that on November 14th last year the Donegal County Council voted in favour of a motion calling on the government to abolish water charges, they also voted in favour of holding a referendum on water ownership. All the councillors present voted in favour and one abstained. Philip Mc Fadden of Right2Water Inishowen said- ‘What people are asking us is, what work ,if any has been done by the councillors on these issues since?’.Another area of concern that people have raised is around the water metering programme being rolled out across the county at the moment. Right2Water will also be questioning why there is no proper monitoring of the work being carried out by installers ,especially around issues of health and safety and quality of re-instatement of footpaths for example. Owen Curran said ‘ We realise the time of the protest is quite early , however we picked this time to make sure we could distribute this letter to as many councillors on the day as possible. We know this is due to be a shorter meeting. We ask all those who are standing against water charges and who have decided not to pay to come and join us’. RIGHT2WATER TO STAGE PROTEST OUTSIDE COUNCIL OFFICES was last modified: April 7th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalprotestRight2Water
Join us to get in-game insights and analysis Sunday when the 49ers face the Denver Broncos at Levi’s Stadium starting at 1:05 p.m.Sunday is the first of three consecutive home games for the 2-10 49ers, who currently hold the No. 1 spot in the 2019 NFL Draft. However, coach Kyle Shanahan and Co. would tell you they’d rather finish out the regular season on a strong note.San Francisco sends out rookie quarterback Nick Mullens for his fifth NFL start. Mullens threw for 414 yards and a …
The Madhya Pradesh government has framed rules to impose a fine of ₹1,000 on drivers of cabs, including mobile app-based services, in case they cancel a ride request after accepting it.“Once the rules come into effect, cab drivers will have to take a licence from the government after paying a certain amount as fee and fulfil some obligations,” said State Transport Department Deputy Secretary Niyaz Ahmed Khan.‘No exploitation’Stating that the rules had been sent to the Law Department and were expected to be notified this month, he added, “The government will have control over drivers so that passengers are not exploited and are given proper services.”Mr. Khan explained that the government would have access to the digital records of a cab service, and impose a fine on drivers or seize their licences in case they cancel a ride or break rules. Even, travel fares will be regulated by the government so that the passengers are not fleeced. GPS-enabled And in case a GPS-enabled cab stops midway a ride or travels in a different direction, the police will get an alert. Hailing the framing of rules, Bhopal Travels Association secretary Rajkumar Kanojia, representing regular cab services, said, “Although travel operators and not drivers cancel rides in our case, it’s a positive decision. If a booking has been made and the operator cancels the ride at the last minute, they should be held accountable.”Other reasonsBut, Rajesh Ginnare, a driver with an app-based service in Bhopal, felt drivers cancel rides only for some pressing reasons. “If the pick-up location is far away, we have to cancel a ride. It happens several times that a rider awaits the cab at a location different from the one entered in the application, so we have to cancel the ride. We also have to cancel a ride if the road leading to a pick-up location is too narrow or congested,” he said.“We get a cancellation fee only if the rider doesn’t turn up at the pick-up location even after five minutes. Sometimes, we don’t even get that,” he added. The application lowers his rating if he cancels a ride request within a 4 km radius.
Meanwhile, Director of the Meteorological Service, Evan Thompson, said experts are anticipating a “near-normal” Atlantic hurricane season, with some nine to 15 tropical storms forecast for the period, which ends on November 30. With the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season set to officially get under way on Saturday (June 1), the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is imploring Jamaicans to heighten preparedness for any eventualities. Story Highlights “We have to ensure that… there is integration of disaster risk-reduction measures in critical sectors such as tourism, education, health, agriculture and fisheries,” he added. Mr. Thompson said that preparedness and mitigation activities “should not just be carried out at the start of the hurricane season, but should be a 365-day-per-year activity”. With the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season set to officially get under way on Saturday (June 1), the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is imploring Jamaicans to heighten preparedness for any eventualities.The entity’s Chairman, Joy Douglas, said that citizens, particularly those living in vulnerable areas, must heed warnings, remain alert, and put measures in place to ensure their safety during times of emergencies.She was addressing a press conference at ODPEM’S offices in New Kingston on Friday (May 31), to launch activities for Disaster Preparedness Month under the theme ‘Reducing Risk one Community at a time’.Miss Douglas said that the Government continues to work towards building disaster resilience in the natural and the built environment.She noted that climate-smart considerations are reflected in all of the works being done under the US$353-million Major Infrastructure Development Programme (MIDP), and will continue under its replacement programme, while provisions under the Building Act and the Disaster Risk Management Act help to reduce risk.Meanwhile, Director of the Meteorological Service, Evan Thompson, said experts are anticipating a “near-normal” Atlantic hurricane season, with some nine to 15 tropical storms forecast for the period, which ends on November 30.“Four to eight could become hurricanes, with two to four being major hurricanes. They will reach category three, four or five, with the potential to create significant damage to the island’s infrastructure. We have to prepare ourselves for anything that could happen,” Mr. Thompson said.Meanwhile, ODPEM’s Acting Director General, Richard Thompson, said that the country’s infrastructure and housing stock “must be hardened”.He said that given Jamaica’s vulnerability to disasters, emphasis must be placed on continuous mitigation measures and how buildings are erected.“We have to ensure that… there is integration of disaster risk-reduction measures in critical sectors such as tourism, education, health, agriculture and fisheries,” he added. Mr. Thompson said that preparedness and mitigation activities “should not just be carried out at the start of the hurricane season, but should be a 365-day-per-year activity”.
Twitter Facebook Advertisement Toronto comedian Andre the “Anti-Giant” Arruda, who appeared across the city in comedy clubs and on screens small and large in works like American Pie: The Naked Mile and Kenny vs. Spenny, has died.The 33-year-old Arruda’s death Saturday followed a lifelong struggle with Morquio syndrome, a rare birth defect associated with dwarfism that makes it difficult to walk.“Andre will always be remembered as the little man who gave us some big laughs,” wrote talent agent Jana Abrams in a Facebook post Sunday. Advertisement Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement