mmteafsb

South Australia launches sweeping residential energy storage program

By on December 31, 2020

first_imgSouth Australia launches sweeping residential energy storage program FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Renew Economy:South Australia’s Liberal government officially opened the country’s biggest support scheme for household battery storage, with up to 40,000 homes able to access grants and low-interest finance for both battery storage and new rooftop solar installations.The $200 million scheme – half in grants and the other half in loans provided by the Clean Energy Finance Corporation – delivers on a pre-election promise from the newly elected Marshall government, but is heavily modified after the then Labor government proposed a similar scheme, but with more focus on low-income housing and more connection between installations.South Australia – as most people are aware – is leading the country and possible the world in terms of penetration of wind and solar, with more than 50 per cent of its generation coming from these variable resources, and the Australian Energy Market Operator predicts that share could rise to near 100 per cent by 2025.While much of the focus has been on the state’s large-scale renewable investments, the state also boasts the highest penetration of rooftop solar, with more than 930MW, and this is starting to have an impact on the way the grid is managed. Rooftop solar is now providing up to 45 per cent of generation at certain times of the day, and the growing amounts of solar could push that grid demand to zero in coming years, causing AEMO to look for ways to try and “orchestrate” this resource for the overall benefit of the grid.The scheme could add up to 400MWh of storage to the grid – not quite four times the size of the 100MW/129MWh Tesla big battery next to the Hornsdale wind farm that has dominated interest from operators and market players – and this could time shift the output of solar, and provide essential grid services.More: South Australia opens biggest household battery storage support schemelast_img read more

Continue Reading

fpnsrhds

Man who filmed infant sex abuse sentenced to life in prison

By on

first_imgA West Virginia man who was convicted of filming an infant being sexually abused has been sentenced to serve between 205 and 775 years behind bears.Kanawha Circuit Judge Tera Salango sentenced Richard Smith II, 41, on Wednesday.Police say, Smith and his ex-girlfriend, Roseanna Thompson, were arrested in May 2018 after a tip came in that Smith may have child pornography in his home. The two were accused of recording Thompson’s granddaughter being abused.Smith was convicted last month of 11 counts of first-degree sexual abuse, four counts of sexual assault and five counts of sexual abuse by a parent, guardian, custodian or person in position of trust.Salango told Smith the videos he made that jurors had to watch “brought grown men to tears,” and according to the Charleston Gazette-Mail.“I think that you are one of the most evil persons who I’ve ever encountered,” Salango said. Smith had no comment.Smith’s ex-girlfriend Roseanna Thompson will trial in April.last_img read more

Continue Reading