South Australia launches sweeping residential energy storage program FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Renew Economy:South Australia’s Liberal government officially opened the country’s biggest support scheme for household battery storage, with up to 40,000 homes able to access grants and low-interest finance for both battery storage and new rooftop solar installations.The $200 million scheme – half in grants and the other half in loans provided by the Clean Energy Finance Corporation – delivers on a pre-election promise from the newly elected Marshall government, but is heavily modified after the then Labor government proposed a similar scheme, but with more focus on low-income housing and more connection between installations.South Australia – as most people are aware – is leading the country and possible the world in terms of penetration of wind and solar, with more than 50 per cent of its generation coming from these variable resources, and the Australian Energy Market Operator predicts that share could rise to near 100 per cent by 2025.While much of the focus has been on the state’s large-scale renewable investments, the state also boasts the highest penetration of rooftop solar, with more than 930MW, and this is starting to have an impact on the way the grid is managed. Rooftop solar is now providing up to 45 per cent of generation at certain times of the day, and the growing amounts of solar could push that grid demand to zero in coming years, causing AEMO to look for ways to try and “orchestrate” this resource for the overall benefit of the grid.The scheme could add up to 400MWh of storage to the grid – not quite four times the size of the 100MW/129MWh Tesla big battery next to the Hornsdale wind farm that has dominated interest from operators and market players – and this could time shift the output of solar, and provide essential grid services.More: South Australia opens biggest household battery storage support scheme
Press Association The highly-rated Spain Under-21 star has apparently decided he needs to quit the Nou Camp in order to increase his chances of making next summer’s World Cup. It seemed Manchester United were in pole position to sign the midfielder, with new manager David Moyes keen for Thiago to bolster an area of the Red Devils squad weakened by the retirement of Paul Scholes. But United landed in Bangkok for the start of their pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia to reports in Spain that Thiago had opted to link up with his former boss in Munich. And, speaking in Germany on Thursday, Guardiola has confirmed he wants Thiago at the Allianz Arena. “Yes,” Guardiola told reporters, when asked if he was interested in Thiago “I don’t know what’s going to happen. We have to wait. But I know him very well. He is a super, super player. He can play in three, four or five positions.” And Guardiola has made it clear he is not interested in anyone else. “It is either Thiago or nothing,” he said. United are still to find out whether Thiago has opted for the familiarity of working with Guardiola. However, if they have missed out, it would be a major blow for Moyes, who confirmed that extensive efforts were being made to strengthen his squad, with particular emphasis on younger players. At 22, the Italy-born son of former Brazilian World Cup winner Mazinho, is one of the most highly-rated midfielders in Europe and would fit Moyes’ template perfectly. It would certainly seem United need reinforcements in that area of the field, with Scholes now retired and doubts over both Darren Fletcher and Anderson. The Red Devils were heavily linked with Cesc Fabregas earlier in the summer but the former Arsenal man has decided to remain at the Nou Camp. Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has confirmed he wants to sign Thiago Alcantara from old club Barcelona.