Bako, a top name in bakery wholesale with five branches nationwide, is branching out into supplying foodservice. In the past the company has told me it would not stray from what it does best – supplying bakers. But I believe the decision is right. Bakery, particularly the craft sector, has contracted in recent years with consolidations and closures on the one hand and concessions to supermarkets on the other. If you ask the vital question, ‘where do they go from here?’ I think absolutely the right answer is foodservice. Preserving profits is vital to the service they provide bakers. And I don’t believe that service will suffer. I think in time it will get even better with more opportunity to invest in people and technology, alongside transport.Many congratulations this week go to Coughlans of Croydon and also to Marks & Spencer, among others, for their triumphs at the ‘Sammies’, which give industry recognition to Britain’s top sandwich makers and suppliers. Apart from the fact that one is an exceedingly good craft baker and the other is a multiple retailer you might think that winning is all they have in common. But you’d be wrong. Pioneering is what they have in common, and a commitment to quality. The level of NPD in both is astounding. One gets the impression that those responsible for fillings, quality and variety see every day as a challenge. What can we invent today? What will keep existing customers interested and attract new ones? And let’s not forget the good breads they use as carriers. Coughlans makes and fills its own, as well as providing a fantastic range of cakes, which actually draw people to Croydon. Marks & Spencer will soon be buying its sandwich bread from Fine Lady Bakery – an accolade for Joe Street and the team.Meanwhile, Phillip Brown, founder of Philpotts sandwich chain, likes to give people ‘a tangible hug’ when they go into his shops with charm, choice and opulence. That’s a new angle on service!In this issue, we also pay tribute to a much loved baker, Anne Heffernan, who spent a lot of her life helping others.Finally, do enter the Baking Industry Awards! There is a category for almost everyone and we welcome first time entrants. Closing date is June 16. Knowing how busy you all are we have simplified the forms. We look forward to hearing from you!
Troubled Birmingham bakery chain Firkin is getting a new lease of life after facing collapse earlier this year.One of its 53 shops – in Corporation Street – has had a £50,000 revamp, while the rest of the portfolio will get the bright new look as part of owner Ian Bolderston’s plans to transform its outdated image and make it competitive in the marketplace again.Bolderston, who owns the West Midlands’ Wollaston Bakery, bought 136-year-old family firm Firkin out of administration in January when it blamed strong competition in the bakery market from superstores and out-of-town shopping centres for the downturn in its fortunes.”We are completely revamping the image of Firkin. The company itself is steeped in history so we certainly don’t want to lose sight of that,” said Bolderston. “The name is well known and fondly thought of by loyal customers so we have kept the name and brought it up to date.”Each of the stores, based in Birmingham and around the Black Country, will be installed with ovens and equipment so that products can be prepared on site. They are normally made at Firkin’s central bakery in Black Lake.Product lines are being developed to offer more choice, including a range of paninis and sandwiches. Ranges will be tailored to suit the demographic of each location. Another store will get the new look in a few months time.
Sainsbury’s this week joined the board of patrons for the Baking Industry Exhibition (BIE), which is set to take place on 6-9 April 2008 at Birmingham’s NEC.Bakery category manager Nick Townend will sit on the board, alongside baking industry figures, including Tesco’s Neil Franklin, and Trevor Mooney, joint MD of craft bakery Arthur Chatwin’s.Latest exhibitors signed up for BIE include ingredients supplier Bakels, equipment supplier Brook Food, Avoncourt Packaging, food processing company Robot Coupe and seasoning supplier Gordon Rhodes & Son. Bakels’ Joy Kellaway said BIE would attract core bakery as well as new customers.
South Wales bakery D Gibbon and Sons has invested £100k in new machinery for its factory, to cope with increased business.The manufacturer and wholesale bakery, based in Newport, supplies its own breads, rolls, cakes and confectionery, inclu-ding its Gibbons Family Bakers brand, as well as national brands such as Hovis, across South Wales and areas of the UK.The money has been spent on two single-rack ovens, as well as a flow-wrapper and an additional van for its fleet. “The new ovens are less labour-intensive, but we will need to take on more staff because production has gone up,” said bakery manager Julian Owen. “One of our major customers is Aldi and, in time, we’re looking to set up separate distribution in Swindon (Gloucester- shire). At the moment, we supply around 25 stores local to Newport, but we hope to expand on that.”
16 British Baker Award for Special AchievementWinner: Colin Lomax17 Baker of the YearWinner: Alan Pearce18 Artisanal Bread Product of the YearWinner: Organic Wild White, Hobbs House Bakery20 The Customer Focus AwardWinner: Burns the Bread21 The Craft Business AwardWinner: The Bread Factory22 Celebration Cake Maker of the YearWinner: David McClymont, Lightbody Celebration Cakes23 The Achievement in Bakery Training AwardWinner: Robert Pashley, Coopland & Son (Scarborough)24 Bakery Food Manufacturer of the YearWinner: Kensey Foods25 Bakery Supplier of the YearWinner: Rich Products26 The Innovation AwardWinner: Genius Gluten Free Loaf, United Central Bakeries27 Trainee Baker of the YearWinner: John Ruddock, Coopland & Son (Scarborough)28 In-Store Bakery of the YearWinner: Morrisons, Laceby, Grimsby
Google+ Google+ CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Twitter Governor Holcomb officially extends Stay-At-Home order Facebook WhatsApp WhatsApp Twitter By 95.3 MNC – April 20, 2020 1 431 Pinterest (Photo supplied/State of Indiana) As expected, Governor Eric Holcomb has issued a revised Stay At Home order that lasts through May 1 and is designed to limit interactions among Hoosiers to increase containment of COVID-19.As of Monday, April 20, 11,686 people have tested positive and 569 people have died from the disease in Indiana. There are now positive tests in 92 of 92 counties.As a part of this action, Gov. Holcomb also extended through May 1 the orders that limit in-person public activity at state government offices and put restrictions on the operation of restaurants, bars and nightclubs.While the Stay At Home order chiefly continues as is, EO 20-22 brings clarity to some essential businesses.As long as sufficient personal protective equipment (PPE), staff and other supplies are available for the COVID-19 response, hospitals should conduct medically necessary procedures, such as those determining cancer diagnosis and cardiac issues, respiratory procedures, and procedures to reduce significant pain or symptoms making quality of life unacceptable.Any restrictions involving medical procedures will be evaluated every seven days for appropriate and timely modifications that could be implemented.Permitted outdoor activity as described in the executive order includes yard work, gardening, planting and landscaping at residential, commercial and industrial properties and farms.Nurseries and garden centers may be open for business as long as they limit the number of customers in their facility at any given time to achieve the Centers for Disease Control’s required social distancing, limit their hours of operation and consider implementing separate operating hours for the elderly and other vulnerable customers, and comply with the social distancing, sanitation and other mitigation measure to protect its employees and the public.Pet grooming at a pet salon, store or mobile unit is permitted.The Critical Industries Hotline continues to be available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday to respond to business and industry questions about whether a business is considered essential. The center may be reached by calling 877-820-0890 or by emailing [email protected] to frequently asked questions and instructions to file for COVID-19-related unemployment are available at Unemployment.IN.gov.A link to the updated Stay-At-Home Order FAQ may be found here: https://www.in.gov/gov/3232.htm Pinterest Facebook Previous articleCoronavirus sickens Indiana mayor’s wife, kills her motherNext articleSBFD offering virtual tours of their environmentally-friendly stations on Earth Day 95.3 MNCNews/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel is your breaking news and weather station for northern Indiana and southwestern Michigan.
WhatsApp (Jon ZImney/95.3 MNC) The South Bend Police Department is asking for help from the public after more than 70 gunshots were fired one one person was struck. It happened around 2:30 a.m. on Monday, June 15, in the area of Broadway and Miami.When officers arrived, they found more than 70 shell casings along the entire block of 1100 Indiana and a vehicle that was struck.Around 5 a.m., officers were called to St. Joseph Regional Medical Center for a walk-in gunshot victim with non-life-threatening injuries.The victim is believed to be connected to these shots fired.The South Bend Police Department Shooting Response Team has taken over this ongoing investigation.Anybody with information is asked to contact Michiana Crime Stoppers at 574-288-STOP or 800-342-STOP or the South Bend Police Department Investigative Bureau at 574-235-9263. Facebook Facebook Previous articleElkhart man, 27, killed in crash in on U.S. 12 in EdwardsburgNext articleSouth Bend Mayor James Mueller announces ban on police choke holds Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. WhatsApp Pinterest Google+ SBPD asking for tips, info after 70 shots fired, 1 person hit early Monday morning Twitter By Jon Zimney – June 15, 2020 1 388 Twitter Pinterest IndianaLocalNews Google+
By Jon Zimney – August 17, 2020 0 399 Gas prices up, then down again, in Indiana Google+ (“Gas Pump” by Mike Mozart, CC BY 2.0) Gas prices went up slightly last week, but it might be a good idea to wait until later this week to fill up your tank.“We did see a price bump last week to $2.19 at most stations. It was our first increase in several weeks, at least,” says Patrick DeHaan, the head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy. “But already since then, prices have started to go back down a couple of cents a gallon. It should spend most of the week declining slowly, so waiting to fill your tank is not a bad idea.”When the coronavirus situation improves, gas prices and demand tend to go up. While it may appear that gas and oil prices are fluctuating, DeHaan says he has seen signs that demand is growing.“GasBuddy Gasoline Demand Data showed that last week’s gasoline demand improved by about 2%. I do think we’ll see demand continue to go up. Perhaps we are rounding a corner, where prices may start drifting higher for the next few weeks as well,” says DeHaan. “Should demand continue to rebound, its only natural that with less oil on global markets, prices are likely to drift to the upside if the situation continues to improve.”DeHaan says gas prices typically go down in September, but September of 2020 could be much different.“If the situation with the coronavirus continues to improve, we could see demand going up into the fall compared to the very low levels of the summer. We’re still 15% lower for gasoline demand than last summer, but it’s still unknown because we are in uncharted territory here,” says DeHaan.DeHaan says northwest Indiana tends to have more expensive gas prices.“It’s the only part of the state that requires a different blend of gasoline for the summer than the rest of the state tends to be more pricey. Prices in the southern tier of the state like Bloomington or Evansville tend to be a little bit lower. That could be because of competition with Kentucky,” says DeHaan.GasBuddy says the statewide average for gas is $2.15 per gallon, which is an increase of four cents from this time last week. On Monday, Aug. 17, in South Bend, the lowest price for gasoline on Monday was $1.89 for a gallon of regular unleaded. The average price was $2.12.In Indianapolis, the average was $2.14. It’s $2.18 in Fort Wayne and $2.03 in Evansville.For the latest gas prices, go to https://www.gasbuddy.com/ Pinterest Facebook Twitter IndianaLocalNews WhatsApp Facebook Pinterest Twitter Google+ WhatsApp Previous articleBraun wants answers from Biden about his plans for ChinaNext articleIUSB offering two dates for virtual registration Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.
Pinterest By Jon Zimney – September 20, 2020 1 384 Pinterest Devante Devon Perkins, 37, Michigan City, INSerious Violent Felon in Possession of Firearm, Level 4 FelonyResisting Law Enforcement, Level 6 FelonyIdentity Theft, Level 6 FelonyDealing Marijuana, Level 6 FelonyReckless Driving, MisdPossession Paraphernalia, MisdOperator Never Licensed, MisdFelony warrants out of Allen, LaPorte , St. Joseph Counties, and the US Marshal’s Office Google+ Three Michiana residents arrested after high-speed pursuit in Kosciusko, Whitley Counties Twitter (Photo supplied/Indiana State Police) Three people were arrested after a high-speed pursuit in Whitley and Kosiusko Counties.The pursuit happened around 7 a.m. on Sunday, Sep. 20, when a trooper tried to stop a 2019 Nissan Sentra passenger car traveling at over 90 mph westbound on U.S. 30, just west of Columbia City. The driver, identified as Devonte Devon Perkins, 37, of Michigan City, failed to stop and tried to evade officers from multiple agencies for nearly 30 miles into Kosciusko County, at times with speeds well over 115 m.p.h., according to Indiana State Police.The pursuit entered into Kosciusko County on U.S. 30, and police deployed stop sticks at the intersection of County Road 650 East, near Pierceton. One tire was successfully struck, but Perkin’s vehicle was not completely disabled, and he continued to flee. The damaged tire eventually came off rim. At one point along U.S. 30, passengers in Perkin’s vehicle were observed allegedly throwing items from the vehicle, which when recovered, turned out to be two handguns.As the pursuit entered into the city of Warsaw, officers from Warsaw Police, the Kosciusko Sheriff Department, along with more troopers from the ISP Bremen Post, became involved as well. The Warsaw Police Department did a great job blocking intersections ahead of the pursuit to protect other vehicular traffic, and then continuing de-escalation attempts with multiple stop stick deployments.The de-escalation efforts proved successful, and the pursuit ended just west of Warsaw on CR200S at Zimmer Road at approximately 7:40 a.m. All three occupants were taken into custody without further incident.All three occupants were placed under arrest on various felony and misdemeanor charges, transported back to Whitley County, and booked into custody at the Whitley County jail pending arraignment. Both Perkins and Morrow were found to have active arrest warrants.Arrested/Charges: Facebook Previous articleQuick work to put out structure fire in Cassopolis early Sunday morningNext articleINDOT plans closure of SR 331 south of Mishawaka Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Twitter Terrell Yusef Morrow Jr., 32, South Bend, INPossession Marjiuana, MisdPossession Paraphernalia, MisdArrest Warrant- (St. Joe County) Possession Marijuana Facebook Jahnesha Annette Thompson, 37, South Bend, INPossession of Handgun W/O Permit, MisdPossession of Marijuana, MisdPossession Paraphernalia, Misd IndianaLocalNews Google+ WhatsApp WhatsApp
WhatsApp Good news on COVID-19 front in Elkhart County Twitter WhatsApp Facebook CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews By Jon Zimney – September 25, 2020 1 378 Pinterest (Photo supplied/Elkhart County Health Department) There is some good news on the local COVID-19 front: Hospitalizations in Elkhart County, due to the virus, have been dramatically reduced over the past four months.The progress is a result of our frontline healthcare workers, local task forces and the citizens of this region working together,” according to the Elkhart County Health Department Board of Directors Chairman.Their key metrics that show the coordination required to protect the public is working, though they say there is still have a lot of work to do.Case in point, a meeting on Thursday night, Sep. 24, to present the metrics was called after dozens of people without masks described as “anti-maskers” crowded into the meeting room, resulting in concern about the ability to conduct the meeting in a safe environment. Google+ Twitter Google+ Pinterest Facebook Previous articleThird mental exam ordered for man accused of killing his uncleNext article18 year-old South Bend man charged with two shootings Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.